Friday, March 11, 2011

In the way of joy

Can I show my family what joy looks like?  If not to my family, these people under this roof, then no one.  I hear His challenge.  Start at home.  Pray like a warrior, conquer at home.  Put on the belt of truth, the breastplate of right standing, the helmet of salvation, the gospel of peace on my feet, take up the shield of His promises, and the sword Word of God.  Get dressed at home.  Seems so obvious.

19. watercolor painting
20. freedom
21. honest preaching
22. sons forgiving each other

A few years ago at the sink, dishes soapy, hands soggy, I look up and out the window to see No. 1 on the ground, in the gravel, staring up at the sky.  Tender One comes in the back door, "What's up?"  I ask.  "He called me a baby.  I told him it's okay, I forgive him."  Repentance and forgiveness, 5 and 7 years old.  I dry my hands, crunch my way across gravel, No. 1 sobs, head on rock, punishing self.  "You're already forgiven.  It's ugly knowing we can be so mean isn't it?  It can be hardest to forgive ourselves."  Help him up, pick rocks from hair, wipe face on my already spotty shirt.  He never called his brother baby again.  Repent and turn from sin.  I fail over and over.  Look to the gifts not the failures.


















23. humid like a hug days
24. public libraries
25. fog like club soda shaken white
26. alpine trees


No comments:

Post a Comment