Friday, May 20, 2011

the view from where you are

241. smell of freshly mown grass
242. a husband who does not give up
243. reminders to push through the hard places, glorifying Him
244. bird shell bits on the sidewalk
245. bat commandos devouring mosquitoes


We dined at my favorite place, Louisiana Gumbo Cafe, and caught the bat show at the same time. 

Now that would freak out some of y'all, but I LOVE bats.  These guys kept coming, for a good 15-20 minutes, thousands of them. 

They live under the bridges.  Austin actually built a bat cave into the new construction of the Congress Street Bridge; how yummy is that!  The absence of mosquitoes is highly noticeable to us Northwest natives.

246. friends who don't mind the dog hair

247. the view from my kitchen sink
Tender, aka EQ, was practicing spelling on spelling city; Yo was copying from work that I printed out over at http://shipfullofpirates.com/

Wanted - A boy that stands straight, sits straight, acts straight, and talks straight...it goes on to desribe many fine attributes of what we value in our boys.

Copy work is wonderful; it teaches spelling, punctuation, vocabulary, and wise work can impart wisdom as well.  Tender is copying the beatitudes.  Quality is far more important than quantity. 

Man sets a fine example for our boys, but examples can be subtle and subtle is lost on some of my kids.  I don't know if it's a cultural thing, or if my boys were too hungry to pick up on examples; or perhaps examples were lacking in Addis Ababa. 

We then turned to art, Native American art.  First we read creation stories from various tribes and compared those to our Story of Creation; Yo was amazed by the  many similarities, this lead to pondering how they came to believe what they believed? 

This site has great Haida art, the tribe who's art we were interested in:
http://artfromthetribe.com/




We really have artistic boys.  Notice the fish sketch below my coffee mug?  Number One drew that; it's awesome.  Grandparents will be getting copies. 

The finale was dinner, this was given rave reviews, accompanied by I Love Yous!  The pic isn't that great, I need a new camera, or I guess I want a new camera, not a need, just a want...

BREAKFAST FLOPOVER
12 eggs beaten
1 or 2 lbs sausage
1 1/2 cup grated cheese
refrigerator biscuits

Heat oven to 375.  Grease 3 qt. casserole.
Cook meat, remove, scramble eggs.  Put meat into casserole, add the cheese in a layer, top with cooked eggs.  Separate the biscuits and put on top of the casserole.  Bake 15 minutes or until the biscuits are done.  Dump onto a serving plate.   Serves 7-8 easily.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for having us over, it was so nice chatting and seeing the garden and spending time with 2 of your boys! I am realizing more and more that it is not just Tanner who loves "his boys" They really are great and its so fun to see them learn and create :) You are so humble, but really you are a wondeful inspiration to me I feel like I am so far below par, but I know that He is enough and will fill in my gaps for me! Thank God for that and truly I do thank God for you! Thanks so much for your posts!

    ReplyDelete