Friday, May 6, 2011

News of New Life

222. owl sightings

Last night on our way home from soccer we saw an owl perched up in an old dead tree.  I turned the car around and we pulled into a wide spot, got out and walked along the country lane for a better look.  I didn't have my camera, hard to believe.  This picture is from National Geographic.
Photo: A great horned owl thrashing its wings
The owl was full of flier's confidence, she let us get a good look at her tufted ears, eyes with golden rays, layers of brown feathers.  She then flew to another, living, tree, we followed, she flew back to the dead tree; then her mate, a slightly smaller version of herself, flew into the living tree.   The pair are Great Horned Owls, the females are larger than the males. 

They were beautiful.  The sun set behind us, the crickets were chirping. 

Our wonderful town in Texas is embarking on its first year of having a community garden.  We are so excited to have a plot in this garden set on an old dairy farm property, a short 5 minute walk from our home.






223. blanket flowers going to seed - cycle of life



224. pink beauty, growing along the street, traveler's gift


225. the wonder of putting seed in dirt and having plants come up

Such a great place for kids to learn; gardening always reminds me of my Aunt Reita.   No longer on this earth, I imagine that some day I will see her gardens in Heaven, and be able to tell her that her green thumb made an impression on me.

226. a new baby expected in my extended family

So many ways a family can be torn and ripped, bled dry.  Cancer.  Just the word catches one's breath, "not me" we hope.  Youngish woman in my family, death came too soon if you ask me.  Red hair, teacher, mother, wife, niece, daughter, so many places left empty by her passing. 

Dementia, more ways than one.  That falling back in time, loss, but somehow taking a different route backward than forward.  Bits of memory cast out, recall the mailbox, but who's face is this before me?

Then news of new life comes.  Slips in quietly, sleeps the night away in my computer. 

New Life - the trumpets call out.  baby. wow.  what wonder. 


Baby photography

Congratulations to my family from the East coast to the West coast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment