Thursday, August 18, 2011

What's for dinner?

One of the top 10 questions in our home is "what's for dinner?".  I can even have it on the table and the kids will still ask that question, like it's automatic.  Uh...look at the table, duh.  Or use your nose, or come have a look...or what does it usually mean when Dad heads out the back door with a plate of raw chicken?

The obvious is sometimes not so obvious when you are 9 or 11 or whatever

I bought beer for Man the other day.  I do not know beer.  I looked at all the beer options, looked at prices, saw one from Canada with a decent price...and thought (reasonably) Man likes Canada, I'm sure he'll like Canadian beer.  Not true.

He waited a respectable 2 days and then brought home an American beer. 

So what to do with beer that I don't want and neither does Man?  Make Brisket in Beer, and Beer Bread. 

Here's the bread, which I think I've posted before, but I'm short on ideas this week.



Beer Bread
1 12oz beer
3 cups self rising flour
1/4 cup sugar

Mix it all together.  Dump into greased loaf pan, bake at 350 for 50 minutes.  Serve warm.

On a different night I made Chicken Marsala.  I tried a new recipe, I like my old Marsala recipe better, but here's what I made this week:





Chicken Marsala from Southern Living Cookbook
1 tsp. chopped rosemary
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 lb. chicken breast, smashed to 1/3 inch or so
olive oil
sliced mushrooms, I use portabella
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp chicken bouillon (this has msg, I hate that, but didn't know what else to use)
1/3 cup Marsala cooking wine
1/3 cup water or broth

Rub rosemary, salt and pepper over meat.  Heat oil in med. skillet and brown meat about 4 minutes on each side, until cooked.  Remove and keep warm.
Add mushrooms, garlic and more oil to skillet, cook.
Combine cornstarch, bouillon, water, Marsala; add to skillet.  Cook until thick and bubbly. 
Put meat on a platter, pour the sauce and mushrooms over it.  Serve with bread or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment