Tuesday, January 15, 2013

vacation wrap up

Finally I am on the last of our vacation posts.  Whew!

A note of caution seems to be in order...

Looking at all of the fun we have makes going missional seem so romantic, so fun and carefree.  Like a gap year;  44 is our gap year, but with wrinkles (and not just literal ones). 

These past 8 months have been hard on Man and I.  In the movie "Hope Springs" a counselor states that "fixing a marriage is like breaking a nose."  Or something like that.  I don't quite get the analogy but I get the pain.  Every marriage grows, each having room for improvement; ours should be amazing by the time we leave here.

Why has it been so hard?  I think part of it is the honeymoon complex.  You go on mission with the person you love most in the world, two setting out to make the world a kinder place.  But the reality is that here is just like there.  We live life, we just live it away from all that is normal and comfortable, and without a car.

There are no doves flying around.  No chorus of angels to shout "you go girl!" as I walk to work stepping over pooh piles, trying not to see cats and dogs looking pitiful, young Filipina women walking hand in hand with old white guys, or even young white guys; men who have ordered this woman over the Internet for the week.  Lady Boys coming home from a night's work. 

It's a life full of complication and challenge, just like yours. 

To a marriage it results in stretching and breaking, more than once.  I think it all happens faster here, like labor and delivery of twin 10 pound boys in 2 hours.... When it's basically just you and your man there is nowhere to run, no diversion.  Discord hits you full on.

I do believe this marriage we are building will be stronger in ways we never could have reached in the States.  We will be bound up in shared experiences both joyful and heart wrenching.  Our nose of a marriage may end up a bit crooked, but I trust it will be even better than the nose we flew in with. 

Being single here is no cakewalk either (remember those, oh a cake walk....what I would give for a decent cake).  Anyway, we have many single missionary friends here and their challenges are unique from those of us marrieds. 

None of this is said with an air of discouragement; it is simply a way to counter the amazing, seemingly miraculous things we do here with the reality of a life lived anyplace with anyone else.  This is life.


Isn't this the most beautiful little girl in the world?  Her life will be hard in ways we can't likely imagine. 


Basketball is BIG here.  In a land of very short people that strikes me as hilarious.  


I asked these guys for a ride, they said sure, climb on top.  Seriously, how much can that little engine handle?


Again basketball.  These boys didn't care that their ball has a gaping hole, they were having fun.


This is the guy who does those commercials, the Giecko Gecko, my son Seth all these years.  Who knew?  Seth loves reptiles. 
We have a new resident at home, Susan.  Susan is another tokay gecko, remember Spike?  he's the tokay who lives under our couch.  Susan now lives in the boys' bedroom and last night she was on the wall next to Seth' pillow.  We are hoping for little Susikes - you know, babies. 


Excuse me but you have a praying mantis on your head!  


 Proof that you can get 14 North Americans and their gear into a Filipino Jeepney.  Note on the side it says"How's my Driving?" I am pretty sure that if you call that number you will get a recording of riotous laughter! 
 

Admittedly 14 means that at least two have to hang off the back.  This is Carla, I adore her.   In this pic she is dancing to Gangnam Style.  


These wonderful ladies make candy!  I love them.  Remember that it is in the 80s with humidity in the 80s, this combo results in a real temperature close to 100.  In the blue tub are slices of bananas that have been dipped in boiling sugar and will be sprinkled with sesame seeds - yum and good for you!  Well almost good for you.


I love this picture of a man hard at work in his rice fields.  The rice fields really are this amazing green.


That is my retirement place.  Man says I'll be all alone there; I wanted to break his nose!  kidding
Isn't it lovely?  We were hiking to a waterfall and this was a view in the distance.  


We stopped for lunch and most of us had burgers, terrible burgers.  Carla (the smart one), and Clay (that man in the yellow shirt who wore green that day) held out for batchoy, a wonderful soup.  They ordered it 'to go', and were a bit surprised to be handed a plastic bag full of very hot soup.  In this pic Carla is transferring her soup to a used soda cup.


She seems happy with the results!  Did I mention I love this girl?  She makes me look forward to having daughters in law.

Okay so I said this would be the end of our vacation pics but my family is crying for the computer so they can watch a movie!  Good grief.  Whatever.  So the end will actually be later.

No comments:

Post a Comment