Monday, January 7, 2013

oddities, or odd ditties

Things in the country are different, but so are things in the city.  I can't really say that anyplace here fits my normal.

I try to adjust but the reality is that I can't.  It would take years of living here to acclimate,  or is it assimilate?  Either way it's not happening.  I am not here to make like a Filipino, neither am I here to change people.  I just want to help.

The cultural differences are drastic between the North American volunteers and the Filipino population we serve.  The top two priorities in social situations here are:
1.  look good at all costs
2. keep the peace even if it means lying

Number one is tough because I see people who can't feed their kids spending money so that their hungry kids look good.  At school a ridiculous amount of money is spent on appearance over the meat and potatoes of a school - training and curriculum.

Number two is just frustrating, and sometimes it hurts.  We get lied to all the time.  It is not seen as lying by the person doing the 'talking', it is their way of keeping the peace.   It is common knowledge that most Filipinos will tell you what they think you want to here.  And very few will admit to not knowing an answer.... If you are lost and ask for directions they will give you directions, Good Luck!

That all being said, or written, I love these people.  I don't want that to sound belittling.  I really love the Filipino population as a whole.  As a nation they are ranked high on the scale of happiness, that is an actual statistic, my Man told me and he is right most of the time.    This is an amazingly beautiful land.  If you ever have the chance to come to the Philippines, do it.  But come with an open mind, come with a heart ready to love the people and their land.  I hate seeing mean, rude tourists everyday.  I see so many tourists who don't smile, don't say "thank you", don't take 5 minutes to play ball with the beach kids.

So many times I find myself thinking "only in the Philippines!"  For example only in the Philippines would you find a pet shop on the sidewalk.



Fish, birds, guinea pigs, mice, rats, puppies....



It was hot and loud, with car exhaust blowing on the animals.  Heartbreaking.


Lots of animals, very little space.  The saddest critters were the puppies; some of their cages were too short for the pups to even stand up in.  These two white puppies next to the white mice where the most pitiful in the bunch.  I would have taken them home if I could have. 

At times it is hard to reconcile my love for people with what I see them doing.   I need to keep in perspective that jobs are in short supply; it is hard to feed your family here for 80% of the population.

No comments:

Post a Comment