Wednesday, November 9, 2011

facts or beliefs?

I've been re-reading articles from christianhomeschool.us.  This site has some great resources to help you get, and keep things in perspective.

As a homeschool parent it is easy to get sucked into the world's way of educating.  We can forget our purpose, and before you know it, we look like the local public school, just smaller and with less money.

Israel Wayne puts it like this:
"What a child knows is really insignificant compared to what he or she believes.  It is vital that our kids know:
  1. What they believe.
  2. Why their beliefs are true.
  3. How to articulate their beliefs.
  4. How to live their beliefs consistently."
He goes on to say "nothing is so important that it overrides our relationship with God and each other." 

"Are all the programs we are involved with bringing us closer to God and each other, or mostly wearing us out?"

In another article by Judith Kowles I hi-lighted and underlined her statement that:

"God is impressing upon us (her and her husband) that academic achievement is not His main concern.  God's main concern is that our children end up with hearts consecrated to Him." 

Be a relaxed homeschooler - I love that.  Now that I'm 43 I'm kind of trying to learn to relax.  I hope that by the time I'm 80 I will be totally okay with napping and drooling in the living room while the grandkids play. 

Marilyn Howshall believes that "true education is teaching children how to learn, equipping them to learn, and guiding them into their specific life-purpose by God's design."  Wow!  Is that all I need to do, piece of cake - kidding. 

Note to self - my purpose in teaching my boys is to help them find their purpose in Jesus.   So that they can figure out what good plan God has for them. 

Now I am not saying that reading, writing and math is not important.  We all need the basics.  But does my 9 year old need to understand NAFTA?  Does my 11 year old need Algebra.  No.  Not to be repetitious, but No.  and No again. 

A good barometer to use is this from Maggie Hogan:
  1. Did my children learn?
  2. Do they want to learn more?
  3. Was God honored in our home?
Yes, yes and yes?   good job!
Go get some icecream.








Kids in our nature study class took the above 5 pictures.  Kids love to be outside!

Go Outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment