Friday, September 16, 2011

like a child

Driving to the park on Wednesday I was reminded that God likes my children better than I do.


Now, I like my boys.  They are good kids.  There are times when I blow my top and act like I need a spanking, but I really do love and like and enjoy my kids.

But God, He loves and likes and enjoys them even more than I do.  I asked myself "What is it that God likes about my kids? and are those things that He likes, those very same things that I want to 'mature' right out of them?

I suspect that the things we expect our kids to grow out of are some of the same things He loves.  Jesus talks about being like a child in Matthew 18 and Mark 10. 



Could it be that the silliness, simpleness, delight, rapid fire questioning, endless energy, fresh perspective and annoying simplicity that define my kids are part of their goodness?  Am I preserving the good stuff or replacing it with junk?

As an adult I struggle to see JOY in all things.  I take myself too seriously.  I want to stay in bed all day.   I withhold questions so as not to appear ignorant.  I don't want to be a bother or a burden, so I don't ask for help. 

Children trust and love and forgive, and they see the world as wonderful.  I don't want to ruin my kids. 

My boys are clay in the hands of The Potter.  Am I teaching them to question His shaping their lives?  Do they see my life as one of constant sacrifice to follow the laid out, clear purposes of our Lord - to bring Glory to Him in all that I do? 

Or can they see my rebellion?  Does the clay say to the Potter "Hey Man, I had this great idea of you making me into an awesome sculpture to sit at the top of a bank building and look impressive - nothing dangerous, someplace with a good view, shady, not too many pigeons... I don't want to be a simple cup, made only to carry water - I'm better than that!  I have great potential!  Don't stick me in Botswana, I demand Manhattan!"

Silly, but I think many of us lumpy clay people want to be in charge of the Creator.   My obedience to Him shows my boys how to be obedient to us, their Mom and Dad; and how to follow Him.   No matter what He asks of us. 

Isn't it easier to be obedient and follow our purpose if we consider it all joy, wake refreshed and excited each day, ask each other for help, share our toys, laugh, giggle, forgive quickly, ask for permission, and accept the answer without question? 

I'm getting better at asking the big questions and finding the biblical answers.  Now I just need the courage to do what I know He's asking of me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment