Tuesday, June 14, 2011

hard truth

In a family the barriers are opportunities to show each other our love; the same is true in a community.

As I go outside late at night, having waited until the teenagers are finished using our basketball hoop, I grumble, I complain....for crying in a bucket, do I really have to pick up after these boys/young men? 

Yes I do.  They toss our basketballs down the street, they leave their trash on our lawn.  We could take down our hoop, tell them they can't use it...but that is not really what we want.  We have told the kids they can use our hoop, even if we are not outside, I want to share what we have.  If they aren't busy playing a game of ball, what will they be doing?

I choose to trust that if we continue to share, continue to pick up after them without complaint (i'll work on that), at some level at some point some young man will take notice and glimpse our family living out biblical truths.  It's worth the picking up. 

I will be patient with them because God is patient with me, and what I really believe about God is how I will treat my community, and my family.




And if at some point I get tired of it all I can let Crocket and Tubbs loose on the neighborhood. 

EQ and Spunk have been patrolling our street.  One morning they even took along a trash bag and collected trash.  They look totally cute  I mean tough!

While the two younguns' cover the hood, Number One works landscaping wonders. 

Love that face!

No comments:

Post a Comment