Thursday, October 4, 2012

things change

Every day brings changes.  On this little island there is joy and struggle, just like every place else.  What helps the struggle and multiplies the joy is community.

A teacher in S. Korea found my blog, contacted me prior to coming to Boracay with her friends, and brought us Kraft Macaroni and Cheese - all the way from South Korea, all as a result of technology.    While here they came to our church, played volleyball with us on the beach, went sailing, and L even came to school one day to meet my kids.  Just knowing that people all around the world are learning about our needs, connecting to us, even visiting us is so comforting - like God is truly orchestrating each step, every blog search, the good and the bad are all in His control.  Comforting isn't it?

While I don't always know if I'm doing the right things, I trust that my God can turn my mistakes into good.  I chose to stay here rather than travel home for my Mom's memorial service.  Looking at the dollars and knowing that a plane ticket to the States costs more than the annual salary of most people on our island....well it does make a difference when choosing how to spend our finances for His Glory. 

Just like in our deciding if we stay a full two years or use the money we would spend doing that to help in other ways.  Shelters are needed, surgery is needed for a few kids here.  One boy at our site has a cleft palate, he is at least 3 years old already and has had no surgery.  We could pay for his family to take him to Manila, he could have a life changing surgery there....Or another little boy who's mother tried to abort him herself and he ended up surviving but with terrible disfigurement - a doctor has been found in Manila who will do the surgery, it just takes money.



Yep - naked.  We see lots of naked here.  



Hi name is Dozer.  Each morning he is taken out for his walkies.  It usually goes like this: 2 steps forward, lay down, 2 steps forward, lay down. You get the idea. 

I had more to share but we need to head out the door for an evening with our community group. 

Counting joy

No comments:

Post a Comment