Tuesday, May 15, 2012

share your stuff

I'm reading a really super fantastic book titled Right Here, Right Now: everyday mission for everyday people by Alan Hirsch and Lance Ford.  You are right in that I read lots of great books and I think everyone should then follow my lead and read them, too.  What's wrong with that?

Anyway, to simplify the book I'll just say share!  If you have a big house, or a little house, share it.  If you have more than one winter coat, share.  I love many of the stories in this book.  Like the single Mom with two kids who posted on craigslist "free Christmas dinner".  She had like 18 people respond to donate food, and a bunch of others respond and say "yes".  So for Christmas they had a house filled with people made in the King's image, how grand is that?  Or the family blessed with a 3800 sq foot home....in addition to the mom and dad and three kids they opened their home to homeless folks and have 5 other adults and 2 teens living with them. 

No way!  Those are crazy irresponsible people!  I would never risk my family's safety like that. freaks.  I know we tend to think that way, even us Christians.  But it's wrong.  Who loves your kids more than you?  God does.  Who ya gonna have faith in?  Are you going to be stopped by fear that is from the devil, or are you going to obey your Master and Commander? 

I just finished reading Katie Davis' book, Kisses from Katie (read her blog, link to right).  I love Katie's heart.  Oh my.  If this does not get you stirred up with love and passion for God's people, you do not have a pulse, or you are heading someplace super hot...just sayin'. 

Katie talks about the fear thing, too.  As she started adopting her girls, she wondered about the fact that her door was always open to anyone - HIV? come on in.  Scabies?  welcome!  TB? pull up a chair.  Katie asked God if she was being foolish exposing her kids to all that.  God told her that He loves her kids more than she does.  If it's His will they get sick, then they will.  Katie puts her trust in the Father.

As we leave for the Philippines next week I know there will be times when I'm tempted to fear for my kids' safety, but I will remind myself that God loves my kids even more than I do.

On that note of keeping kids safe - our went flying today!  Grandpa D treated Man and the boys to indoor skydiving today.  It was so fun!





So - share your stuff.  Even if for today you only have a smile to share, spread it around generously!

No comments:

Post a Comment