Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Rescue

Now that our five boys are all in public school, what's a Gretchen to do?

Volunteer of course, and get a little job. 

I volunteer at an amazing organization started by Randy Grim in St. Louis.  Stray Rescue is what it says....we rescue abandoned and dumped dogs.  We don't take owner surrendered animals.  Much of St. Louis has been abandoned; I have never traveled through a city and found much of it deserted, run down, burned out.  Dog fighting is big business here, and many people simply dump their dogs.  We rescue dogs who have been used in dog fighting, lost and thus been dumped - often times literally dumped in dumpsters.  We get bait dogs; those dogs who's mouths are taped or wired shut so they can't fight back, that is how the bad guys improve the confidence of their fighting dogs.  Many of the dogs, close to 50%, have been shot.

Here are some before and after pictures.  I love being part of this.  Is it hard?  Yes, but I get to see the whole cycle.  These dogs are rehabilitated and adopted out. 

These photos are from the Stray Rescue website: www.strayrescue.org




















I also help out with the local Humane Society, Heartland Humane Society.  I care for the cats that are kept at PetSmart's adoption center; once each week I clean litter boxes (yuck!) and let the kitties out for play time! 






As for the little job?  Well my df (dear friend) L talked me out of substitute teaching and into doing something I would actually enjoy, and where I would get to use my awesome animal skills.  I applied and have been hired at PetSmart as a dog trainer.  I'm the trainer in training right now, looking forward to teaching my own classes in the New Year.  Yeah!  Thanks L. 

No comments:

Post a Comment