Friday, July 20, 2012

Too tall in a short country

I'm not really that tall.  I think it's more that I stand up straight, good posture you know?  Except that here, even if I slouch I am still taller than the majority. 

Being tall means that most Filipinos come up to about my boobs.  This is awkward.  I may take to wearing coconut shells.

Trikes are made for short people, I bump my head on trike rides; and I can't see out the front window. 

My classroom chalkboard is attached low on the wall, I am constantly stooped over.  I don't have a projector, a white board, a screen - it all goes on the chalkboard.  I try hard to angle my bum away from the front row.

Privacy fencing stops at about 5 feet.  So as I walk to work and look around, I have often spotted people bathing in their yard.  After 'accidentally' spying on 4 or 5 guys getting their morning scrub, to their high delight and humor - whenever they see me pass now they hoot and holler! - I make an effort to keep my eyes low.  But goodness, 5 feet? 

Mirrors (on the rare occasion that there is a mirror) in the bathrooms are placed down low, can't see my face but I get a good look at my, well yes there they are again, my boobs. 

Next time we set out to live in a foreign country I think we'll use height as a factor. 


Hiking to Punta Bunga beach.


Once there we found that the beach is privately owned by a resort, but if we were willing to eat a little something in their restaurant then we could use the beach.   We had a few of the R boys with us. 


The beach was mostly deserted - really beautiful.



Bis spotted this amazing caterpillar that other day.  The camouflage is to make it look like a snake.  I though it would be a great thing to move critter inside along with the potted plant he was eating.  So we set him up in the middle of our table and went to bed.  In the morning Man asked where I thought the caterpillar might be.  We searched low and high and could not find him.

We are pretty certain that Spike, our Tokay gecko, ate the poor, re-located caterpillar.  I feel kind of bad about the whole deal.  Spike is happy!


When I reached for the salt the other morning, Spike was in the cupboard.  He is usually under the couch, so I was surprised to find him up and about.  



Hanging out at the beach after church.  


Next week we start serving at a feeding site here on Boracay.  The Laguna feeding site serves about 90 kids each week.  The site is walking distance from our home, and along the beach.  It will be good to serve the kids in our area. 

I have a student, her Dad makes only about $70 US dollars each month.  The Mom died.  The Dad is raising 4 kids alone on only a little money.  It's a miracle that his daughter is even in our school, it will take more miracles to keep her there.  I learned yesterday that he was going to pull his daughter out of school.  Our tuition is low, but it is still a burden to many families.  He was having to choose food or school....I passed along to him that we will keep her in school.  Either we will sponsor her or we'll find a sponsor for her.  She needs to be in our school.  If she can get a good education then she can help her siblings learn.  The other three kids are in public school, where they will learn very little. 

If you can sponsor a child in our school please do so through the First Love button, or through us directly. 

One thing about sponsoring kids.  Things happen and families move on.  It is better to have givers willing to sponsor a child, any child, then to try and tie one child to one sponsor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment