Tuesday, July 10, 2012

challenges

While it is obvious that we live a blessed life here on Boracay, it is all relative to what you are used to.  I am used to access to herbs and remedies that my family needs, or the doctor if it comes to that.  I am used to animals that are spayed and neutered and mostly cared for.  I am accustomed to kids being in school as opposed to selling stuff on that beach.  In the States I can be confident that if I phone the police they will come, and bribes won't be needed.

Bis was bitten on his ankle by something.  I don't know what.  Maybe a spider, or a centipede or a little bug that looks like a miniature scorpion.  The bite caused his ankle and foot to swell up so that he can't bend his ankle, you can't see his ankle bones, his skin looks tight like it might just split open.  After 3 days it is better; a bit better.  We've been soaking it, and using meds I have on hand.  If it does not keep looking better then we'll brave the medical clinic and see what they say.  Amputation seems the likely recommendation in this place where extreme measures seem to be the norm.  We won't let them chop it off, so no worries there. 

Dead cats are a common site on my walk to work.  Kittens, still mewing little tiny things, tossed out in the trash - breaks my heart.  Puppies, dogs with mange and other nasties are everywhere.  Man was walking down our road and saw some guys skinning a pig, at closer inspection it was not a pig but a dog being prepared for the B-Q.  I don't actually mind people eating dogs, seems better than going hungry and there are way too many dogs here.  It's all in the culture you are used to.  I asked the boys if feeding a snake bunnies was different than feeding it rats - and why.  We had a good discussion.  I think I lost them when I suggested feeding kittens to snakes.  It all comes with the territory.  What is the more humane thing to do?

Kids are not in school here.  Any day, any time, on the beach there are kids selling things.  Today one boy tried hard to sell my necklaces.  "I am so very hungry" he whined.  I had left my pesos at home so I could honestly avoid having to buy anything! 

The other morning there was a domestic dispute in the place behind our house.  Yelling, screaming "let me go!"  "help!", breaking glass, silence...It was gut wrenching.  But here you can't just call the police.  Bribes are given, eyes are turned away, the police do not get paid much for being police.  So I prayed. 


This little gecko lives behind the pink curtain in our dining area.  He is almost translucent.  


What a puzzling fish!  Man and boys go to the Talipapa (market) and buy fish once each week.  Last week they brought home this red snapper.  


The signs around here crack me up.


So at the top of the hill, by the AKY gas station, sits a big puddle of water.  This is a new problem.  Seems they did some work on the road or pipes or something, then when they were finished they concreted it all up and covered the drain holes in the process.  Now there is almost always this 'water' to get through; I call it pooh water and we try to stay out of it.  


Our friends the R family were 'given' a 'free' puppy.  Most of us know how that goes!  Her name is Obi, short for Operation Barnabas International which currently has a team of young ladies here helping in the ministry.  The thing that  looks like a bunch of sticks tied together, well it is a bunch of sticks tried together.  Here in these parts we call that a broom.  


Bis with his fat, hot, bitten foot sleeping at the R house; Obi found a great place to catch a nap.


Balut is a yummy snack here.  It is a partially (mostly) formed chick that has then been cooked in the shell.  You eat it all, beak, feet, juicy bits.  Yum is all I can say about that!  Ethan and Bis thought they'd try it.


Having second thoughts.  They did both eat their baby chicks in the half shell, and it all stayed down.

Well, this has taken about an hour.  I need to go to sleep.

Love to all.

4 comments:

  1. GRETCHEN! I check in from time to time, and this time, you're in another land eating Balut! Wow. I don't know what you're doing there, but I look forward to catching up on your blog and finding out. Can't remember now how I found your blog all those months ago, but wow. You're inspiring the heck out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Gretchen! Your post just slay me! Not spiritually, but in the fact that it's hard to believe such a beautiful place could be so rough. And oh, the little chicks in the shell, gag. No feathers I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gretchen, my love to you and yours! You are definitely writing a story and providing a window for Christians here in the States. God is with you and it is clear He has prepared you in so many ways for the things you are facing there. You are an inspiration... I pray Biz is healing well from his ankle wound. Please let us know your needs and how we can help.

    Funny to see the boys trying balut eggs. Hai knows all about that, he spent his childhood watching his dad eat them as a kid. It's still a delicacy so he says, never tried it myself!

    Lots of Love, Hugs and Encouragement

    Lupita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been thinking about you all lots and lots. I really hope Biz's foot is feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete